Sunday, July 25, 2010

Snap Bean

I am taking advantage of the direct sun on my balcony and I am growing some snap beans . They are also called french beans, green bean and runner bean. Many names eh? Confusing indeed! Anyway snap beans are from the legumes family (fabaceae). According to the botanist experts, bean plants have the ability to abosorb nitrogen with the help of some micro-organism living in the soil as they form symbiotic relationship.

I started the plants from seeds about 3 weeks ago. I planted 6 seeds in total, but only 3 germinated. I guess the rest didn't make it due to overwatering and eventually they rot. I am unsure if these beans is of bush-type or runner-type as the seed packet never mention about it. I am hoping they are of compact bush-type. Nevertheless, I've fixed a small support made of small wooden bamboo should they want to climb. They should start flowering in the next couple of weeks.





No comments:

Post a Comment